14.01.2011 J5 XV v Emerald Warriors (H)

14/01/20122:30pmLeagueSt. Marys J5 XV20 – 7Emerald WarriorsHome

A very important (and first!) league win of the season for the J5 Team on Saturday at home v the Emerald Warriors on Saturday. Well done all! The final score was 20-7 and reflected a tough 80 minute battle against an organised Emerald Warriors side. St Mary’s started well with a dominant period of ‘possession rugby’ with the backs and forwards linking well to mount a number of attacks within the first 20 minutes. Our well balanced back row linked extremely well with Jody Brooks on hand to take the final pass from a long, powerful Dave Balfour break from the base of the scrum…and Jody then barrelled his way over between (and nearly through!) the posts for the opening score. Adrian Malone easily converted. Deservedly, 7-0 to the boys in blue! More pressure from St Mary’s during this excellent spell coughed up another penalty about 25 meters out … which was again dispatched by Adrian Malone. 10-0. The Emerald Warriors are a well drilled side and were full of running all day. They eventually found a way through our defences on 5th or 6 phase ball to score a good team try. Converted to make it 10-7 at half time. Although full of running, the Emerald Warriors had plan A and only plan A as a game plan. A tense 20 minutes at the beginning of the second half realised scoring chances for both sides but none were converted. An important penalty in front of their posts allowed Adrian Malone slot his 3rd from 3 attempts to put St Mary’s 13 -7 up. (Right decision to take the points here) Another period of tense rugby followed as both sides attempted to run the ball along their respective backlines for the most important, next score. Daithi Crowley tried a hugely ambitious long range penalty from inside our half during this nail biting period … and only just missed as it hit the post to go wide. Worth trying. A bizarre incident followed next whereby 29 players heard an imaginary whistle blow and they all stopped playing…all apart from James Hynes that is…..who had the good sense to keep playing until the referee blows his whistle (twice?!) and ran half the length of the pitch to go under the posts untouched by human hand for the winning try! Good awareness. Converted to make the final score 20-7. A win in the league! A first win of the season! A great feeling for all involved. A great and committed team effort. Onwards and upwards now lads!