13.03.2014 J5 XV v Monkstown (A)

13/03/20148:00pmMetro Div 10Monkstown15 – 21St. Marys J5 XVAway

St Mary’s College RFC J5s V Monkstown J5s.

21                                 15

J5 Metro League 10

Sydney Parade

Thursday 13rd March 2014.

St. Marys secured an essential win against Monkstown at Sydney Parade to guarantee league safety for another season.

It was a simple objective for the team who knew a win was essential. With a good support for the team on the sideline, St. Marys began their game without their characteristic slow start and scored a try in the opening minutes with a league debut try from Alan Moughty. It was an impressive spell for St. Marys, controlling possession and getting up the field and pressurising Monkstown into mistakes when in defence. With St. Marys looking to push on and develop a commanding lead they were immediately pegged back and Monkstown got in for a try bringing the score to 5-5. However they weren’t fazed by this and reasserted themselves on the game putting constant pressure on Monkstown in both attack and defence. This almost paid off for St. Marys with Monkstown losing ball in attack and an excellent fly hack down the field by second row Tom Keogan led to winger James Walsh chasing the loose ball and collecting it on the Monkstown 5 metre line. Walsh’s momentum brought him over the line despite getting tackled by a despairing Monkstown defender, however at that exact time an errant DART passed by the pitch causing an awful racket which shocked the winger forcing him to spill the ball forward. When asked for comment after the game he stated he had never seen a DART before and he would have definitely scored had he been in his native Kilkenny, we welcome further explanation at the next court session. This spurred on the team and soon afterwards some solid work led to Shane Levins showing a turn of pace to score out on the wing and also added to their score with a penalty. As the half progressed, St. Marys made some changes to the team with Tahar coming on and special mention here must go to Browner, who belied the long standing stereotype of the slow witted prop by taking only seven minutes to tie his boots when asked to come on, he laid the blame solely on his laces and his mother’s failure to tie the aforementioned laces for him. By the time he had conquered the laces the half was over with Mary’s leading 15-5.

St. Marys found themselves on the defence for the majority of the second half; with Monkstown growing in confidence with an early second half try. There were some huge tackles put in around the park with Niall Neville worthy of particular mention. Mary’s did launch attacks in this half and earned two penalties which proved crucial as Monkstown again were in for a try later in the half. With the score at 21-15 and minutes remaining the team put in an excellent defence and kept out repeated wave of attacks from Monkstown holding firm to earn the win and it was fully deserved. Afterwards the lads were delighted with the win with one unnamed bearded player blasting out a chorus of “We are the champions” before being reminded we had just avoided relegation. So as another season draws to an end, the J5s prepare for a cup campaign with a newfound optimism. Stillorgan awaits in the quarter final.