29.01.2011 J5 XV v Clontarf (A)

29/01/20112:30pmLeagueClontarf15 – 3St. Marys J5 XVAway

                                Clontarf RFC VS St Mary’s College RFC
                                Castle Avenue, Clontarf 2:30pm Kick off

The League leaders but their unbeaten record on the line at a cold Clontarf. St Mary’s where missing a couple of regulars due to injury and unavailability but still fielded a very strong team. St Mary’s started the game very slow and were under sustained pressure from a big Clontarf pack from the start. Clontarf enjoyed a lot off time in the St Mary’s 22 and should have got an early try only for some good defence from St Mary’s. This pressure continued and the St Mary’s defence finally gave way and Clontarf went over for the opening try in the 8 minute. The attempted conversion just drifted wide to St Mary’s relief. St Mary’s had a good re-start through Garry Crawford and a good chase from the pack resulting in a penalty for Mary’s which Crawford converted to leave the score Clontarf 5 St Mary’s 3. Soon after the restart Mary’s lost their elder statesman and inspirational leader Ian McCarthy due to injury and this seemed to hit Mary’s hard. The next 15 minutes where full off mistakes and St Mary’s were guilty of giving away a lot of penaltys but lucky for them none of them in kicking range for Clontarf. Clontarf again enjoyed some pressure in the Mary’s 22 and on the 28 minute after sustained pressure they went over for their second try on the 28 minute which was converted. After this Mary’s seemed to up their performance and enjoyed some time with the ball in hand and good pressure in Clontarf’s half but due various mistakes where unable to convert this pressure into any points. At the short whistle Clontarf went in the happier leading 12-3.  St Mary’s made changes at half time with David Sheedy coming on, on the wing and Danny McEvoy moving to second centre. This change nearly paid off straight away with Garry Crawford playing a beautiful cross field kick that Sheedy ran onto and put McEvoy in the clear but was un-lucky to knock on. This was the best Mary’s could manufacture and Clontarf where on the front foot for the next 20 minutes but failed to convert any of this pressure into points. This sustained pressure took its toll on Mary’s with Mary’s players being forced off due to injury and this really stretched Mary’s resources.  St Mary’s continued to infringe at ruck time and where being penalised on a regular basis and one of these penalties resulted in a further 3 points for Clontarf to give them a 15-3 lead on the 70 minute. Mary’s again reshuffled their team and resulted in some good attacking play form their now second centre Kieran Morrissey and resulted in Mary’s enjoying some game time in the Clontarf 22. This pressure looked to have paid off when Jody Brooks had gone over the white wash but was judged to have made a double movement by the referee. This seemed to set Mary’s into life and had sustained pressure but with Mary’s now trying to force the issue they where caught with an interception pass and Clontarf looked to get a break away try only for a great try saving tackle by Mick Daly. This turned out to be the last play of the game and Clontarf ran out winners on a score line of Clontarf 15 St Mary’s College 3. Mary’s now have to bounce back from their first loss of the season with a top of the table clash with Tallaght at a sure to be packed Templeville Road.

Daithi Crowley

St Mary’s College Team.
1.      Tony Makondo
2.      Jody Brooks
3.      Hugh Lyons
4.      Ian McCarthy
5.      Eamonn Walsh (Capt)
6.      Maurice Davin
7.      James Hynes
8.      Mark Byrne
9.      Kieran Morrissey
10.  Andy Fitzpatrick
11.  Caolan Reid
12.  Mick Daly
13.  Garry Crawford
14.  David Millard
15.  Daniel McEvoy

Subs: David Browne, Stephen Cushen, Lorcan Byrne, Dave Sheedy, Marco Pietri.