16.10.2010 J4 XV v Lansdowne (A)

16/10/20103:00pmLeagueLansdowne0 – 41St. Marys J4 XVAway

St. Marys J4 -v- Lansdowne


Marys travelled to Ballycorus Road on Saturday in ideal weather conditions which were matched by the facilities and pitch conditions. Landsdowne were only able to field 14 players starting the match requiring Marys to drop their numbers to match. 

Lansdowne started the match and after some pressure from the home team Marys ended up conceding a penalty within in the first few minutes, fortunately they missed and after Ted restarting from the 22 their out-half went for a drop-goal which he also missed. From considerable pressure from Lansdowne for the first few minutes, Paul Whyte made a break down the right and from the offload put Wally and Nick Cunningham away into the Lansdowne 22. From their line-out Joe Doddy stole it and after a break from Wally he passed to Teddy who handed off the defender and touched down under the posts 5-0 Marys. Teddy converted his own try. Two minutes after the restart the forwards turn the ball over and after a flat pass from Ted, Nick breaks up the line and with a little help and push from Alan “Boom Boom” Godfrey runs for the left corner cuts under the fullbacks arm and scores. Ted converts making it 14-0. After crossing Lansdowne get a try disallowed try and the half time whistle is blown.

After half time Lansdowne found a 15th player and Niall Conway was substituted by John Twomey with Tim Henderson joining the pack.

After receiving a penalty Ted kicks for the corner. The lineout is gathered by Twomey and with a massive maul from Marys Eamon scores. Unfortunately Ted couldn’t convert 19-0. From a chip by Ted into the right hand corner Marys ended up stealing the line-out again and much like his first half try Ted went over under the posts 26-0. Teddy got a penalty straight in front of the posts and converted, 29-0. From the restart it was collected by Godfrey and made a break up the right hand side getting tackled he offloaded to Rory O’Neill who eventually got tackled into touch. After getting the lineout again it came out the backline and from a dummy switch on Darragh O’Neill, Ted passed the ball to Richard Pyne who had just come on for Wally, Pyner took a brilliant line to go under Lansdownes posts again to make it 36-0.

After the restart Ted cleared it well into their 22, their fullback cleared it but didn’t make touch, collected around the half way by Doddy he made a run for the right hand corner. The fullback hadn’t followed up and so they were all offside. Bemused by the amount of space he was given he put a perfect chip into the far right corner and Nick beat the covering back defenders to jump on it to get his second try of the game. 41-0 final score.

1.Rossy Kelly 2.Eamon Moran 3.Alan Godfrey 4.Joe Doddy 5.Niall Conway 6.Rory O’Neill 8.Padraig Nestor 9.Ross Wynne 10.Brian Moran 11.Chi Yuen Hui 12.Paul Moran 13.Darragh O’Neill 14.Nick Cunningham 15.Paul Whyte.

Subs: Tim Henderson, Tony Flynn, Stacks, Richard Pynne, John Twomey