08.10.2011 J4 XV v Coolmine (A)

08/10/20113:00pmLeagueCoolmine22 – 41St. Marys J4 XVAway

Coolmine 22 – St Marys 41

Rumours of the J4’s demise would seem to be premature after a convincing away win to one of the annual title challengers and Winter Cup winners of 2010 in Ashbrook on Saturday. The game had barely begun before flying winger Chi Yuen Hui made a great break before being caught inside the Coolmine 22. A quick recycle and pass to Darragh O’Neill saw him beat two men and go in for the opening try. With the conversion narrowly missed it was 0-5. From the kick off Coolmine gain possession and after some good pressure inside the Marys 22 came close to the line before being turned over. Fullback Paul Whyte sprinted clear of the cover and after chipping ahead won the foot race to touch down for try number 2. The conversion made it 0-12 to Marys.

After Coolmine had slotted a penalty to make it 3-12 Marys attacked using some good kicking and with a penalty advantage pending hooker and coach Eamon Moran threw a speculative pass out to flanker Tim Henderson who juggled the ball before gathering and going over to make the score 3-17. Ted duly converted to make it 3-19. Very shortly afterwards Richie Pyne showed some lovely footwork to race under the posts and ensure an easy conversion for a 3-26 lead. Some rare Coolmine pressure on the line fell just short again and after a break from our own line and a poorly fielded kick by the Coolmine 15, 2nd row John Twomey scampered past the defence to score out wide to make it 3-31. With HT approaching Coolmine pressure eventually paid off and the score at the break was 10-31 to Marys.

While the first half was an all singing, all dancing affair the second half was a much quieter 40 minutes as both sides struggled to keep the pace of the first half up. The first try of the half came after 60 mins and after some good maul play Joe Doddy, not to be outdone by 2nd row partner John Twomey, emerged from the pile up with the ball to claim try number 6 for Marys and with the conversion the score was 10-38. The game was fading as a spectacle when some sustained Coolmine pressure saw them go over to make it 15-38 before Teddy Moran slotted a penalty to leave the score 15-41. Coolmine did score another late consolation try for a final score of Coolmine 22 St Marys 41.

The defence of the league title is up and running and off to a fantastic start with a well earned away win. Next up is old adversaries Blackrock, who are still looking for revenge after the dramatic last play of the game defeat in the Winters Cup two years ago.

Big thanks to the retirees who togged out on Saturday due to injuries and cry-offs….. Ross “you’re out of retirement now” Wynne, Gavin “neckbrace” Rafferty, and Paul “marathon man” Moran. Nods also to new comers William Andreucetti and Mick Dunne who both had very good games.

Team – 1. Gavin Rafferty, 2. William Andreucetti, 3. Eamon Moran, 4. Joe Doddy, 5. John Twomey, 6. Mick Dunne, 7. Tim Henderson, 8. Rory O’Neill (c) 9. Ross Wynne, 10. Teddy Moran, 11. Richie Pyne, 12. Stephen Muldowney, 13. Darragh O’Neill, 14. Chi Yuen Hui, 15. Paul Whyte. Sub – 16. Paul Moran

Ian Grimson