05.02.2011 J4 XV v Terenure (A)

05/02/201112:00pmLeagueTerenure13 – 38St. Marys J4 XVAway

The J4’s took on Terenure in Lakelands on Saturday in the latest round of the Super 6.

The pitch had taken a lot of rain and was a bit of a mudbath, but Mary’s started well with out-half Teddy kicking a penalty after 5 minutes following some early pressure.

The good start continued when, after 7 minutes, excellent continuity play and some good, quick hands put winger Chi-Yuen Hui over in the left corner. Ted missed the difficult conversion. 8-0 to Mary’s.

Terenure cut the deficit to 8-3 with a penalty but Mary’s forwards were in the ascendency and making good yards with every surge. This go-forward ball led to a further penalty chance for Teddy on 18 minutes, which he converted for 11-3.

The pressure on Terenure continued and just after the half hour mark, a series of scrums in the Terenure 22 and some quick hands after good recycling put centre Darragh O’Neill over in the corner. Again, the extra points eluded us but we had a 16-3 lead.

The first half display was our best of the season so far, with the lads showing what we had only seen in glimpses in our previous games. Things got even better on 38 minutes, when centre Wally Moran made a good break into Terenure territory and gave the ball inside to his supporting centre partner, Darragh to score his second try by the posts. Teddy added the extras for a 23-3 lead.

There was still just enough time in the first half for a Terenure player to be sin-binned for foot-tripping our No. 8, Padraig Nestor on the half way line.

The second half seemed to start well, with Terenure knocking on from our kick-off, but the referee missed it as he was still checking his watch! Terenure capitalised, went through a number of phases and managed to score in the corner to make it 23-8.

Soon after, they capitalised on some sloppy defending as they managed to go from their own line and again, score in the corner. The score now was 23-13, and far closer than it should have been.

Mary’s though soon put a fairer slant on the score, when Teddy dummied, made a break and passed to Darragh to score again, completing his hat-trick. The conversion was missed and Mary’s led 28-13.

It was Mary’s turn to have a man sent to the bin on 29 minutes, when full-back Paul Whyte saw yellow for side-entry at a ruck just in front of the posts. Terenure, however, couldn’t capitalise and Mary’s scored again on 34 minutes, when No. 8 Padraig Nestor broke from the back of a scrum close to the line and popped to Teddy who burst through the tackles to score. Kicking duties passed to Hooker, Eamon Moran who couldn’t add the extras. 33-13 to Mary’s.

The missed kicks meant that our points tally wasn’t as large as it should have been but a nice gloss was put on the score when winger Chi-Yuen gathered an attempted chip over him and galloped to the line.

Final score, Terenure 13-38 St. Mary’s

Gavin Rafferty, Manager

15. Paul Whyte 14. Nick Cunningham 13. Darragh O’Neill (Hat-Trick Hero) 12. Paul Moran 11. Chi-Yuen Hui 10. Brian Moran 9. Ross Wynne 8. Padraig Nestor 7. Phil Conway 6. Andy McCarthy 5. John Twomey 4. Joe Doddy 3. Alan Godfrey 2. Eamon Moran 1. Ross Kelly