03.03.2012 J4 B XV v Railway Union (H)

03/03/20123:00pmLeagueSt. Marys J4 B XV19 – 35Railway UnionHome

J4 B 19-35 Railway

Saturday League game with Railway was a big game for both sides. The winner would secure 2nd place in the table and put pressure on Parkmore for the title if they slipped up away to Unidare. That game did go to script for Parkmore.

The St Mary’s side started very strong. Out half Daly kick a high ball by half way. Winger Doran chased it up and got the better of the bounce. Unfortunately the pass to centre Clery was knocked forward and the opportunity for a great try was missed. Railway built their way into our 22 and slotted a drop goal. 0-3 5 mins. Railway furthered their lead with a try on 13 mins. 0-8. A very decisive decision which had a strong implication on how the game was being refereed happened shortly after. Inside our own half just beside the touchline out half Daly, who did not have the ball, got very dangerously taken out by the Railway winger head first. Daly was out cold for a few mins. Thankfully Daly was ok. All of this happened right in front of the referee who did nothing. Just awarded Railway a lineout. We were caught unawares from the lineout, following the Daly incident which quiet clearly warranted a straight red card. Railway got a try. 0-13. We reacted positively to this by getting a try to Balfour on 25 mins. 5-13. Before half time however Railway got a converted try and a penalty to lead 23-5 at break.

It was frustrating to watch that first half. Not only was nothing done for the dangerous incident, there was an awful lot of poor decisions and different things missed by the referee. Needless this was all noted by his assessor on the sideline.

The score remained the same throughout most of the second half. With 10 mins to go Railway got another converted try followed up 5 mins to go with another score which had a blatant forward pass in the move, missed by the referee. 5-35. The St Mary’s side dug deep for the remaining 5 mins of the game. Winger Gavin went over for two tries near the end with both being converted by Daly. Final score finished 19-35.

It’s a shame that what promised to be a very good battle was spoiled by an inexperienced referee.

A credit to the lads for a great league campaign which sees us finish in 3rd place.

We move on to the 1st Round of the cup this week. We have a tough away trip away to Coolmine on Saturday.