19.09.2009 1st XV v Lansdowne (H)

19/09/20093.00pmLCSt. Marys 1st XV19 – 8LansdowneHome

St. Mary’s College RFC V Lansdowne FC

19 08

The game started at a very fast pace. Marys started the better team and good work from Brophs, Flaps touched down. Gavin Dunne missed the kick, but made up for it with a penalty a few minutes later. 8-0 up and Marys looked to be cruising.

Nasher was playing at 7 and made some big tackles. Again Brophs was at the centre of some good work and his clever chip ahead earned Marys a penalty which Gavin kicked with ease.

Lansdowne got off the mark with a penalty from their star outhalf David Hewitt. The Lansdowne team was packed with players of note including: Devin Toner, Brian O’ Riordan, Kieran Lewis, Aidan McCullen and the aforementioned David Hewitt.

Some good forward pressure earned us another penalty and Dunne added the 3 points. This left the half time score 11-03 to the home side.

The start of the second half, Lansdowne came out looking to get back on terms. Some poor decision making (one Lansdowne player choose to come back inside and gave up a 4 man overlap!) made life difficult for them. Not to take away from some great Marys defence, which knocked Lansdowne back at every chance.

Marys regained posesssion and made inroads to the Lansdowne half. Good work from Chops yielded another pen which allowed Gavin to extend the score to 14-03.

The second half continued to be a scrappy affair. On 50 minutes Marys were reduced to 14 men after second row Robin Copeland was yellow carded for an infringement in a ruck. The rest of the forwards including Logie, Nasher, hugh and McMahon stood up to the challenge but eventual pressure from Lansdowne earned them a try through Devin Toner. Hewitt missed the con.

The match was always going Marys way and after some good work inside the ball was flashed and Ronan Doherty chipped ahead and showed his pace to beat the Lansdowne winger to the touchdown. Great solo effort, where he outpaced 3 Lansdowne players. Dunne missed the con.

Lansdowne came roaring back and were mauling towards the Marys line. Some great defence saw Marys turnover the ball on their line and clear the ball to touch.

Marys ran out winners on a scoreline of 19-8. Next up the AIL game at home to Tarf, Sat 3rd Oct.